Monday, March 30, 2020

Leah Says & James Says

These are from before the quarantine: 

James: Leah, can I tell you something?
Leah: Nooooooo!
James: You’re a googleplex mean.
Leah: YOU’RE a googleplex!

Leah calls the whole library "story time." We walked in the other day, and Leah sighed and said, "I love this place." There was a little bit of a protest when it was time to leave, and she said, "This is  NOT FAIR." To be fair, we had attended a program, read several books, played with blocks, and ridden the elevator up to the to third floor to take a drink out of the water fountain, so basically two-year-old heaven, and why would I want to leave after only two hours?

I had to tell her no for something, and she responded, "I do not! Like it! When you! Say that!" with emphasis, in case I didn't know.

Leah says to me: “I'm proud of you for reading that story." (short pause) "So proud."  This was after I'd read her a picture book!

She's been saying some things with a schwa sound at the beginning. She calls it the um-puter, and we frequently lose the uh-mote for the TV, and thunder is "under."

Sam was trying to get Leah to go to bed, and he said that her stuffed toy was getting sleepy. Sam, to Leah: I think Mickey is tired and need to go to bed.
Leah: I don’t think he is - he just p’tend.

Sam and Leah were playing a game (of Leah’s invention) where you pressed a button and then said what would happen. Sam pressed a button on her shoulder and said she'd turn into a banana. Leah laughed and went along, then after a pause said, "This game too hard. I sorry for that."

Leah, to Sam: Here’s your coconut. (Long pause.) it’s a p’tend coconut. You p’tend to eat it.


These are from after the quarantine: 

Everyone has been eating constantly the whole time we've been cooped up at home. Requests for snacks within an hour or a half an hour of mealtime have been starting to wear on me, especially since they've been grazing the entire day.  Leah, to me: I want something to eat. NOT supper.

James: “Isn’t there anything to do??? Anywhere to go????” He’s particularly miffed about the ARC being closed. “There’s nothing fun!!”

James: There's this kid who used to go to my school, Martin. He's popular because he's really good at four square. But do you know why he got really, really popular to the whole school? Like he went viral? (pause) Do you know what he brought to SNACK? (pause) REALLY spicy beef jerky. Like it had JALAPENOS in it.

Leah, asking for some taffy (that we'd shared earlier): Where are those (long pause) little yummy things?

Leah told Sam that he was "the meanie-iest."

James, to me: Why do people think the ocean is sad?
Me: Because it’s blue?
James, thinking quick: no, it has salt in its eyes!

Sometime later, James, to Amelie: Why is the ocean sad?

Amelie: Because it’s full of plastic

Not a specific quote, but I had forgotten just how much a 7.5 year old could talk (and talk and talk and talk).



No comments:

Post a Comment