Saturday, May 9, 2020

Homeschool Week 8

Well, I've said this almost every week, but I didn't take many photos and don't remember much! We've reached the portion of the quarantine where I'm cutting my own hair and making doll clothes. Sam's continuing to make music videos and paint. We also did school! This is for the week of May 4, which was when Missouri was supposed to "reopen." I thought there might be some additional traffic on the roads in our neighborhood - it's been so nice with the bikes and walks that there hasn't really been any - but I didn't notice a difference. Still not many people driving as far as I can tell, but a lot of dog walking and kids on bikes. I'm supposed to do a tiny bit of work from home this week and then I'll go back in person Saturday and Sunday (just staff). Sam's still working from home.

Monday
James built a too-small fort out of a small table and a sleeping bag.

He enlarged the tent, but then more siblings joined and it was still too small.


I gave myself a haircut using the unicorn method popular on youtube. This one is easier to see (because her hair is straight) but this is the one I actually followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTlT1hH_VwE&t=14s.

It didn't take much length off (maybe 3.5 inches), but it's shaped a lot nicer.

Tuesday
Here's what my quarantine cut looks like when my curls have fallen out somewhat. I'm old enough to know that you're supposed to take the selfie from above, but I was trying to get all of my hair in the shot.


Sam repainted a redbud for his area in the basement.

We moved the vehicles out of the driveway so there would be more room for the kids to ride. You see James is on the grass.

Journal time.


 I think they wanted me to stop taking pictures:

 Wednesday
Amelie in her gear, unicorn helmet and all.

I'm not sure how effective the pads are (the hand/palm protection seems like a good idea) since she's still using the training wheels and hasn't had a big crash. She was very anxious about crashing, though, so they've helped with that. Now maybe we won't lose all of the pieces for when she takes the wheels off and might need the crash gear!

Some of the kids wanted pedicures. I scrubbed James's feet with sugar scrub and he said I didn't do as good of a job as the professionals.

Amelie had zoom homeroom with her student teacher and they did a scavenger hunt/PE activity. I didn't know what was going on until I spied her doing sit-ups on the kitchen floor. The teacher would call out an item for them to go get and bring back to show the class (shampoo bottle, remote control, etc.), and if they didn't make it in the allotted time, they had to do different exercises (pushups, jumping jacks) that she'd call out.I heard Amelie tell the class that she had an advantage because our house is small (which is true!) 

We watched City of Ember for our movie, since Amelie just finished reading it with her literacy class. 

Thursday
Leah has been carrying around Amelie's old doll Kyle. Back when Amelie had him, he had clothes, but I couldn't find them, so I made some more out of scraps. Here are some little drawstring shorts:

And here's his Hawaiian shirt:

Poor Leah's got some spots around her nose, and we have several more days of topical antibiotic ointment.

James finally lost his wiggly tooth and has quite a large gap. 

Friday
James got a letter and project delivered from his teacher pen pal. I'd never met Ms. Lillig and she dropped it off at the house and I was so confused! After she left and we saw what was inside the bag, I asked James if it was Ms. Lillig and he didn't know - she was wearing a mask and he didn't recognize her, but I'm sure it must have been her. There were lots of goodies in the bag:

And he wanted to do the project right away:

After that, we peeled the wrappers off our broken crayons, snapped them into pieces, and melted them into big rainbow crayons in the oven, using our muffin tin. James did show and tell with his class later in the afternoon and showed them the crayons.

No comments:

Post a Comment