Sunday, August 6, 2017

St Louis Mini Trip

We spent the night in St. Louis on the way back from the Bootheel and did some fun activities like go to the arch, swim in the hotel pool, eat a huge breakfast at the hotel, and go to the zoo.


They're doing some construction in and around the arch for a new museum.

Another nice tourist asked if we'd all like our photo together when he saw me taking a shot of just the kids.

Too bad my eyes are closed!

James took this one for us:

We got tickets to go up in the arch, but the line was so long by the time we were at the top it was dark. It was neat for the first minute and then I got kind of claustrophobic, so we went right back down on the egg-like elevator. The last time I went, I was in college and it was during the day - there was a lot more room to walk around and look out the windows. The kids enjoyed it, though :) Leah slept mostly in the ring sling (we didn't have to pay for a ticket for her). 

Back at the hotel room. The hotel seemed completely full (maybe due to the Cardinal's game) so I was glad that they had a pack-and-play for Leah since she would definitely roll off the bed. The first time we stayed at a hotel with Amelie, we reserved the crib online and then when we got to the hotel there were no cribs (she didn't roll off the bed, though).

Almost all of my pictures are from the zoo. It was so nice the zoo parking lot was full, so we parked a little farther away (for free) and walked through a park with big concrete turtle and snake statues that the kids could climb on.

Leah lost her hat about halfway into the trip after using it as a chew toy. Thanks to Shauna for the loan of the umbrella stroller with a shade! It was Leah's first time riding in it and she slept most of the time.

The reptile house has been one of Amelie's favorite parts of the zoo since the first time we went.

I forget what they're looking at.

The tiger came out to entertain us while we were waiting on the train. He rolled around scratching his back on the grass and made some interesting noises.

We took the train to the children's zoo:

I wonder what Amelie did that was so offensive - see that look James is giving her?

Wikipedia tells me the children's zoo opened in 1969 - I wonder if this hippo statue has been up since then? I know there's a picture of me as a kid in its mouth.


James is somewhat taller than a river otter and somewhat shorter than a pygmy goat. (I am a tad shorter than a llama, according to this chart - I should have had Sam take my picture!)

Amelie spent a lot of time watching the otters play, and both kids brushed the pygmy goats.

Not so interested in taking photos.

Brushing the goats:



Riding the carousel:
The new polar bear came out while we were on the carousel so we got to see him briefly. The line was too long to see the penguins, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment