Thursday, July 11, 2019

Kitchen Remodel

I should file this post under “better late than never.” I kept thinking that I'd do a good deep clean and then post pictures, but finally decided that a regular clean was probably good enough. (I was also thinking I might change the window covering/get a curtain for the over-the-sink window and haven't done that yet either several months later.)

Anyway, we had some improvements made to the house! First, they expanded the driveway so that we can park side-by-side (not pictured). Then we did a thorough kitchen remodel. We used the same contractor who we used 5 years ago to add on our bedroom and completely redo the bathroom.

Here are the "before" pictures. Sam really wanted to move the sink under the window. In this picture, it just faces the wall - I'd guess there used to be a window there before the carport was closed into a garage and then we eventually converted the garage into an additional bedroom.

One big, nice change is that we wanted to make more space for folks to pass through to the dining room - this opening was not very large for anybody with a walker or a wheelchair. Also, the microwave being up above the stove meant that the kids couldn't reach it/use it.

Picking out a new light fixture was probably the most fun. Here's the old one:

I felt bad about replacing the metal cabinets that were original to the house! (Built in 1952! I think!) But I did not feel badly about getting one consistent floor all the way through the dining room, landing at the top of the stairs, and kitchen. The floor was the part that took us the longest to decide/agree upon. Here you can see the three different types of floor in the small space.

And here are the after photos! Yay white, wooden cabinets and a new window! Plus my new coordinating light fixtures. The one in the dining room came in an absolutely enormous box

Plus the sink moved over under the window and the stove moved away from the opening. We got a lot more cabinet space. You may not be able to tell, but we reused most of the same cabinet pulls.  

There's a new fridge and stove in there, too. Aunt Holly took the old fridge & I sold the old stove on facebook. Mom's handyman came by and took most of the old cabinets and Sam put a few in the basement for extra storage down there. 

I am very pleased with the way it turned out!

1 comment: