Sunday, March 22, 2015

Papaw Leroy

We went down to the bootheel last weekend for my Grandma Doris's birthday. We got a text on the way down that the hospice worker said Grandpa Leroy wouldn't last much longer. He ended up passing away on Saturday night.
February 12th, 1928 - March 14, 2015 
I'm glad that so many of us were able to be there. 

My Aunt Lana's good friend had written a nice piece about Grandpa on her blog a few years ago, but I just read it: http://writecreateclick.com/2012/04/16/home-again/

He lived a long, full life. 

My best memories are of when he let me drive his truck - very slowly, going the back way - from church to the grocery store on Sundays when I was 14 and 15 and learning to drive, and of course him being there at every volleyball game when Holly and I were playing. I remember how surprisingly empathetic he was when I was in 6th grade and got contacts - I had to wear these huge, red "Sally Jessie" glasses for the week or two before the contacts came in and I was vainly upset about it and Papaw was upset right along with me (not that he came out and said it in so many words!) 








No comments:

Post a Comment