Saturday, September 12, 2020

Tadpoles, Part I

We rescued about 30 tadpoles from a friend's kiddie pool on June 15th. The internet told me that tap water was dangerous for them (I have my doubts since they hatched in chlorine water, but I followed the advice and used rainwater plus some water from the pool they came from) and we set them up in the old water table. The kids helped me put sand and rocks at the bottom:


Leah looks increasingly suspicious.


Here's Amelie holding one - she said they look like mice. 

The next day (July 16th) we improved the habitat by putting in some plants with the roots still attached (also like my single internet source told me). 


Science!



July 21st. I frequently send the kids out "to check on" the tadpoles. They (and I) have spent a long time watching them! 

"They didn't growed legs!" she exclaimed indignantly. 

July 22nd - Eating breakfast with the tadpoles. 


August 4 - Amelie's showing off another one. You can see how they've grown! Their tails and the outside of their bodies are transparent


August 22. My friend from the library was surprised that my one google source had told me to feed the tadpoles boiled greens, but they seem to like it! They're probably eating algae and bugs and other things in the water as well. We've given them romaine and spinach and egg yolk (they didn't like that) and pinches of fish food. Here they are chowing down on romaine lettuce:

LEGS! This was an exciting and long-awaited development! 

August 25. Here's Amelie again, showing off the one with 2 back legs.

I have no idea why the water's so murky. Spark has been drinking out of it some - I'm going to ask the vet about this!


August 27 - Right on schedule, about 6 weeks after we'd first gotten them, one of the tadpoles (Mr. Four Legs) has four whole legs!  


More to come!








No comments:

Post a Comment