Sunday, September 30, 2018

Broken Arm

There were a few pictures of Amelie in her cast from when we went to MUUSA, but I never made a blog post about it.

The school nurse called me back at the beginning of summer school and asked if I could come pick up Amelie. She'd had an accident on the playground (jumping for the zip line and landing on her wrist) and was really upset about it.

I got to school, and she was acting fine. The nurse insisted that I take her to get her wrist x-rayed, though, and so I took her in - I don't think I would have if the nurse hadn't made me. It was going to be about an hour before the doctor could see us, so we went to Sonic and got ice cream.


Dr. Swofford let us know that it was a buckle fracture (Amelie wins the prize for our first -- hopefully only -- broken bone). She wore a brace for a bit until they put the cast on:

This is right after they put it on, she was not happy about the whole thing.

So we went for Panera and had more treats - are you noticing a theme?

The big reason we went with the cast (versus just the brace) was that she could go swimming - plus we had camp and vacation and I was a lot more comfortable sending her off to those with the extra protection.

Out to eat Fuzzy Tacos (this was before she'd collected all of the signatures):

I made a video when I asked Amelie what she thought of the cast:

When she says she can't go swimming in it, she means that she wasn't supposed to get in the lake water (because of bacteria). She was able to go swimming in the pool and splash pad and bathtub (though I think she did get a fair amount of lake water on and around the cast anyway).

And this is her getting the cast removed -  her friends at school had signed the cast by this point. It was looking a lot dingier after camp was over.

Sam remembered this special machine from when he had broken bones as a kid - the saw will only cut the cast material - not the skin.

4 weeks later, and it's off!


No comments:

Post a Comment